Re: Convert PDF files to something WORD readable?

Subject: Re: Convert PDF files to something WORD readable?
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:01:37 -0500

At 10:31 AM 12/29/98 -0600, Ned Allison wrote:

>I need a program that will convert PDF files into a WORD
>or EXCEL or ACCESS readable document.

To the best of my knowledge, Ned, what you're asking for is not
currently possible.

PDF is an output/display format, little more than a PostScript
data stream with a wrapper around it. It is a very good format
for printing and a somewhat less useful (but still quite good
considering the alternatives!) format for on-screen display.
Unfortunately, PDF is a *bad* format for content that must be
re-used in any format other than PDF.

It is very difficult to separate content from formatting in a
PDF file. (This is also why most search engines do not index
the contents of PDF files properly, marketing claims to the
contrary; it's a difficult format to work with.)

If you own or have access to a copy of the Acrobat Exchange
package, you *could* cut and paste text from the PDF file
into a Microsoft Office application... one line at a time.

(shudder)

If you need to re-use content from a PDF file in another
program, contact the author of the PDF document(s) in question
and ask him or her for electronic copies of the source documents.

Otherwise, time to limber up your typing fingers.

Hope this helps. I know it's not what you wanted to hear.

--
Barry Campbell | barry -at- webveranda -dot- com
Web Architect | (list/personal mail)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=