Re: thoughts on color

Subject: Re: thoughts on color
From: David Downing <DowningLst -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 14:20:04 EST

Gil

While I like color, speaking from a purely subjective point of view, I agree
that there are a lot of problems with using it -- and we must guard against
the practive of putting something in a document just because we can.

The three big dangers of color are
1. A given color means diffierent things to different cultures
2. Some people are color blind
3. Once a document depends on color for any of its meaning, you them become
committed to printing it on a color printer -- which you may not always have.

There was an article in a back issue of the STC magazine INTERCOM on the
subject, and the final verdict was -- if you're going to use color, be sure
it's back up with some other method of conveying the same message.

David Downing

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=