Re: Convert PDF files to something WORD readable?

Subject: Re: Convert PDF files to something WORD readable?
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:49:36 +0100

Ned,

it all depends on what you want to do with the PDF file contents. (I
personally wonder what you want to do with those documents in
MessySoftware).

One place to start looking around would be the PDFZone website
(http://www.pdfzone.com), which has a comprehensive overview of plug-ins
which might be helpful.

However, you must be aware of what the meaning of PDF actually is. The PDF
format is (or at least has been) a form of electronic paper. So far, the
PDF format does not contain any contents related information (except the
Docinfo). So, you do have a pile of text in your PDF document, but there is
actually no structure information. You would have to (re)create it. Things
might change some time, but I don't know whether the PDF version 1.3
(that's how the next standard is likely to be named - right now, we have
PDF version 1.2) does contain any hooks to structure information.

Keeping this in mind, you might end up with rescanning your documents and
run them through an OCR program. However, the very best thing you can do is
GET BACK TO THE SOURCE DOCUMENTS.

The big advantage of the PDF format is that it ensures contents integrity.
This means that the document can not get corrupted without that the user
notices anything. The appearance integrity is a (appreciated) by-product of
the contents integrity.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
WWW: http://www.prodok.ch/prodok

Bridging the Knowledge Gap

>I need a program that will convert PDF files into a WORD or EXCEL or ACCESS
>readable document. TO date my search on the internet has not born much
>fruit. Do any of you experts and helpful soles out there know of something
>to assist me in a windows environment?
>
>Any and all assistance much appreciated!
>
>Ned

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=