Re: Value of technical writers

Subject: Re: Value of technical writers
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:54:52 -0800

What an interesting thread. The thing that has stood out throughout this
discussion is how people have transformed their interpretation of "what a
tech writer is" into what *they* want to do.

Andrew was enticed by technology (I can relate to that) and so a *good* tech
writer to him is a technology expert. Several people mentioned
communication, others pinpointed the opportunity to write, someone else has
gravitated toward more of an editing position. And lots of others that I
can't remember now. Personally, I have always tended to think of my tech
writing role as some kind of educator, and I've just recently realized that
I *like* teaching--there's probably a connection there(!)

Once again we've demonstrated that tech writing is a pretty nebulous label,
and even more than that, it is what each of us makes it. Interesting.

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)
Bremerton, Washington