Re: Need your Help

Subject: Re: Need your Help
From: Darren Barefoot <dbarefoot -at- MPS-CANADA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:39:53 -0800

Personally, I don't have any problem with it, but then I'm a big advocate of
Latin usage generally. See the following for two opinions:

From Microsoft Bookshelf 95:

"In its more general use to mean "according to" (as in per the terms of the
contract), it is best reserved for business and legal communications, unless
the writer seeks a tone of jocular formality."

From the Microsoft Manual of Style (1995)

"Do not use per to mean by or in accordance with.

Correct:
Find all the topics that contain a specific word by following the
instructions on your screen.
Identify your computer by using the procedure in the next section.
Incorrect:
Find all the topics that contain a specific word, per the instructions on
your screen.
Identify your computer per the procedure in the next section."

Cassandra Parker wrote:

What is the rule for replacing the follow:

Per our conversation today, I am writing to inform you ............

With the emphasis on, "Per our conversation."

I understand this phrase is no longer used throughout the business
world.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=