Re: Re. chat: Y2k clarification

Subject: Re: Re. chat: Y2k clarification
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 22:53:48 -0800

Marsha Kamish, post the following advice from Geoff Hart,
on what do do around the turn of Y2K:

> [...keep paper copies of your financial docs...]
> [...stock up on cash in case the banks are down...]
> [...stock up on water...]
> [...stock up food...]

All good ideas in general, and certainly good for around Y2K.

On food... I remember seeing a quote one that "civilization as we
know it is three days from starvation", meaning that a sudden collapse
of the infrastructure would result in 90% of the population starving
inside of three days. An interesting thought to keep in mind as you
debate the "end of the world".

> Y2K is not going to be the collapse of civilisation... more like a
> moderately bad hurricane, if that.

Sure, _going through Y2K_ will probably seem like weathering a
moderately bad hurricane, sure. Now imagine a moderately bad
hurricane hitting most of the "first world" (i.e. everybody "advanced"
enough to be susceptible to Y2K problems) at the same time... what
happens afterward? The economic impact is what I'm most afraid of.
Even the economic impact of the WORRY over Y2K is going to be scary.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=