Re: new title: Information Developer

Subject: Re: new title: Information Developer
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 09:31:04 -0600

> I'm surprised to hear that people put titles on their resumes. Is this
> common practice? It seems to pigeonhole the applicant straight away.

If I saw a resume without job titles, I would wonder if the applicant
was trying to hide something. I'm just used to seeing them. Even on a
skill-based resume, the resumes I've seen also include a chronological
list of employers and job titles. Is this something that varies by
region or industry?

> What am I to call myself on
> my resume if I apply for another similar post?

Given the possibility that my potential employer will call my current
employer and ask for a reference, and given the likelihood that all
they'll get from HR is my title and dates of employment, I think I'll
call myself whatever they call me here, just so no one thinks I made up
a title to sound like something I really wasn't. Or am I being paranoid?

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=