web file naming conventions

Subject: web file naming conventions
From: John Cornellier <cornelli -at- CLAMART -dot- SRPC -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:10:34 +0100

(cross-posted to webmonster)

Is there any advantage to naming web files index.html, aside
from the fact that you shorten URLs slightly? I suppose if
people edit the URL in the Address box on the browser, e.g. to
go back, then it's handy if each dir contains a viewable file,
rather than displaying a 404 or dir listing.

Is there any technical advantage to using .html or .htm, other
than that .html is more cool?
Are there other filenames that a browser will open if you
point it to a dir? I just tested it and index.html, index.htm,
and home.html can all be default files, with precedence in the
order I gave, where they are all in the same dir.

Any general comments on naming conventions for sites?

John Cornellier

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=