Re: web file naming conventions

Subject: Re: web file naming conventions
From: John Gilger <jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 08:31:45 -0800

The answer is: It depends on how your web server is set up. Generally,
on a Unix/Linux machine running Apache server (the predominant set up
for web servers) your first page has to be index.html, index.htm, or
default.htm. Otherwise, when a potential visitor enters
www.yoursite.com <http://www.yoursite.com> they will not connect. The
server software looks for the index or default file as the place to
start displaying your site. Index is the preferred name. Whether *.htm
or *.html is required, depends on how the server is set up. Your host
decides this and normally tells you (or your site
administrator/webmaster) how to do it.