Web Legal Issues

Subject: Web Legal Issues
From: Robert Maxey <Bob_Maxey -at- MTN -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:19:16 -0700

>><snip>
>>When I created my Web pages, I did not create the browser that allows
>>anyone to look at source code. Having the ability to look at source code
>>does not give you the right to lift it and use it as your own.
Netscape's
>>browser design does not supercede federal copyright law.
<snip>

The above is an example of a big problem with the Web. If you look at any
of the hundreds of books written about the Web, the idea of looking at the
HTML to see how others did something, and then using the same structure and
ideas is stressed quite a bit. In fact, many books encourage the reader to
use existing code.

Most books advise that if you visit a page and you like the styles and
look, simply look at the code and duplicate it. It is encouraged and well
accepted.

If I visit a page, there is nothing that can prevent me from using the same
styles, colors, tables, frames and other parts that you use; excluding
legitimately copyrighted materials, naturally. I can duplicate the look of
your page EXACTLY, and there is not a blessed thing you can do about it.

HTML is virtually the same thing as reveal and formatting codes used in
Word Processors. It is a language to describe how things look and behave on
a page and that is NOT something you can copyright.

As far as the Copyright comment above, you are correct. No product can be
used to supersede a federal law. Using Meta Tags, formatting, styles is
part of HTML, and that is not protected.

As far as copyrights on links, word lists, etc., it is not possible. Here
again, I can use the same list of keywords you might use and I can put the
same exact list of links on my page and there is nothing you can do. When
someone puts up a web page, they must follow traditions. They must
understand what is and is not allowed. Because the web evolved as it has
evolved, there are certain things that are generally accepted. The fact
that someone does not like it means nothing.

Bob Maxey

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=