Survey - hyphenation of "single board computer"

Subject: Survey - hyphenation of "single board computer"
From: Douglas Vereschagin <Douglas_Vereschagin -at- SPECTRUMSIGNAL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:16:02 -0800

My colleague and I have a debate going on - should "single board computer"
be hyphenated, or not? If so, then how?

(A single board computer is a computer that consists of one board that
contains a processor, and possibly some of the following: connectors for
attaching a keyboard, monitor, a mounted hard drive, etc. This board is used
in a rack, for example, a VME (non-PCI) rack.)

A Web search shows that the non-hyphenated version is used more often, than
a hyphenated version. But common usage doesn't necessarily mean correct
usage.

I'm interested in your opinion: which way, in your view, is correct -
hyphenated or non-hyphenated? If you were to hyphenate, how would you?

Please respond directly. If there is interest, I will post a summary of
votes.

TIA

Doug Vereschagin
Burnaby, BC, Canada
mailto:douglas_vereschagin -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=