Re: new title: Information Developer

Subject: Re: new title: Information Developer
From: Kari Sable Burns <karinet -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:52:34 -0800

I use a job title but it's not always what the HR dept classified it as
because it could be meaningless to anyone that doesn't work for that
company. On the other hand there is a risk that the former employer will
claim there was no such position but since large companies usually access
that information by ssn# not job title, it has never been an issue, for me.

One example of misleading job titles: When I did typesetting I was the "code
reviser". Later when I applied for a job with the state, they construed that
to mean a State Law Code Reviser. I was hired as a "claims analyst" which
could mean anything, even though our working title was Claims Managers,
later they decided to call us disability adjudicators which had been a title
reserved for a higher positions level (they just added 1,2, or 3) after the
name. However the working title remained claims manager.

Particularly when you get into government and civil service positions the
titles are often meaningless to the outside world.

So I try to coin generic descriptive job titles that best described my
position, regardless of what they call it.

Not that I think the "title" is important to have there but most online
resume templates and applications do require one.

Kari
http://www.karisable.com

>> I'm surprised to hear that people put titles on their resumes. Is this
>> common practice? It seems to pigeonhole the applicant straight away.
>
>If I saw a resume without job titles, I would wonder if the applicant
>was trying to hide something. I'm just used to seeing them. Even on a
>skill-based resume, the resumes I've seen also include a chronological
>list of employers and job titles. Is this something that varies by
>region or industry?
>
>> What am I to call myself on
>> my resume if I apply for another similar post?
>
>Given the possibility that my potential employer will call my current
>employer and ask for a reference, and given the likelihood that all
>they'll get from HR is my title and dates of employment, I think I'll
>call myself whatever they call me here, just so no one thinks I made up
>a title to sound like something I really wasn't. Or am I being paranoid?
>
>Tracy
>--
>Tracy Boyington mailto:tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
>Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
>Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
>Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=