What's the point

Subject: What's the point
From: Hollister Technical Services <Holtec -at- COMITY -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 16:19:52 +0000

Folks,

Having seen Karen Shriver's book on Document Design praised I went out
and bought it. It is excellent. She states that the point, used nearly
universally to measure text, is (only) nearly 1/72 of an inch. I thought
it was exactly 1/72 inch so I looked it up (Graphic Arts Encyclopedia:
McGraw Hill, amongst others). It is defined (since 1886) as 0.013837
inch so that 72 points is 0.996264 inch.

I looked in the archive to see if there was anything on point size but
did not find anything relevant.

My questions (at last): How did we get this (bizarre) unit? Where does
it come from? Also, where can I get an accurate point type-scale (that
does not assume exactly 72 points per inch)?
--
Peter Jones

e-mail Holtec -at- comity -dot- demon -dot- co -dot- uk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=