Re: What's the point

Subject: Re: What's the point
From: Elisabeth Zakes <ezakes -at- PLANVIEW -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 08:48:53 -0600

> My questions (at last): How did we get this (bizarre) unit? Where does
> it come from? Also, where can I get an accurate point type-scale (that
> does not assume exactly 72 points per inch)?
> --
> Peter Jones

I think the question of how we got a point has been published,
so I won't cover it here (it would be too long!). I get my point-scale,
a clear acetate sheet, at Miller Blueprint in Austin, TX. I was also
given a loupe (magnifier) with points on it when I worked at a
typesetting shop. They may have acquired the loupe at Miller, as well. I
have also seen a metal ruler with points as well as inches on it. All of
these are accurate points, not the exactly 72/inch style (which, I
think, was created by Mac for their DTP software).

If you have anything like a typesetting shop or blueprint supply
house, try those. I have never seen anything of the sort in normal
office supply places.

Elisabeth B. Zakes
PlanView, Inc., Austin, TX
ezakes -at- planview -dot- com