Re: STC - academia or real-world?

Subject: Re: STC - academia or real-world?
From: John Gilger <jgilger_it -at- NV -dot- DOE -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:23:31 -0800

Once again, I failed to communicate.

Majorie Hermansen-Eldard observes:

. . a short response to both John Gilger and Garret Romaine:

John, student chapters of the STC (at least in the Intermountain
area), rely a great deal on "real world" support from our mainstream
chapter, but the organization at large is certainly not focused on
publishing the work of graduate students. I wish we could get more of
our students to publish, actually!

. . . just some reflections from a "committed" technical
communication junkie and teacher!

My criticism wasn't/isn't aimed at those students that really
plan to join us in the trenches. The relationship between local chapter
and student chapter is one of STC's good things. The material
originally referred to was stuff written by PhDs and PhD wannabees. It
is mostly academic drivel.

Don't waste band width flaming me, cuz y'all have toasted me to
a crisp in the past, but...

Why would anyone need a PhD to be a technical
communicator/writer? This isn't rocket science, folks.

Have a good day and a better weekend :-)

John

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=