Titles

Subject: Titles
From: Robert Maxey <Bob_Maxey -at- MTN -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:03:17 -0700

How about the term "Writer." Why bother to add some pompous title, when all
the information the prospective employer needs in the resume? For example,
if every job listed or if all projects you did were for Microsoft, Symantic
or other software concerns, it is a easy bet that you wrote software
documentation.

I have a real problem with titles, as they often tell me very little, yet
reveal quite a bit. Besides, from reading all the replies to the original
post, I am not sure that the term Technical Writer can be easily defined.
Someone who writes Barbecue Cookbooks is working in the field of Technical
Barbecue Science and Application, but I would not think that a writer of
cookbooks is a Technical Writer, even though they specialize in one
specific area. According to the dictionary, the writer is writing something
technical, but very few people would equate this subject with the field of
Technical Writing.

Me, I am Bobbo, the guy who writes assembly and production procedures. I do
not consider myself a Technical Writer.

Bob

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=