Re: What Standards?

Subject: Re: What Standards?
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:43:14 -0800

Robert Maxey writes:

> >I'm sure that's the cause of all trouble: Microsoft Frontpage, the
> >garbaging editor...
> >You can compose nice-looking pages with it, but this editor does
> >definitely not follow the recognized HTML standards for compatible use;
> >the main concern for tech-writing.
>
> What standard does FP not follow?

What standard *does* it follow? :-)

Seriously, though, FP does not follow standard practice in how it
uses HTML and how it lays out pages. HTML is a language that, like
english, can be used to express the same thing in different ways.
Front Page seems to find the most awkward way to express such things.
Part of this is that Front Page tries to map Word's internal tag
format to HTML, which is definitely not a one-to-one mapping. The
rest of it seems to be simply Microsoft attitude.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=