Re: Developer's Kit

Subject: Re: Developer's Kit
From: Todd Snarr <todd_snarr -at- AUTOSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:09:51 -0700

Xiang Li writes:

>I am going to write a developer's kit for a software program for the
>company I am working for, I have not done anything like this before,
>anybody out there did this before? or anybody has the suggestions about
>what should be in the kit, and the structure of this kit, or any other
>advice?

I had to write a developer's kit about six months ago for one of our new
products, so I've been in your same shoes. You might look at the
documentation included with the Java development kit (JDK). I can't recall
their URL right now, but I remember getting some ideas from their
documentation on possible content. The developer's kit for our product is
used for developing Java-based components, so the audience needed to be
familiar with the Java programming language.

First, how are you defining "developer's kit"? Our kit was simply a set of
interfaces that allowed software engineers to develop components that could
be integrated with our product--in this case, I'll call our product XYZ and
our developer's kit XDK. Simply put, our developer's kit was XYZ's API. The
purpose of our XDK documentation was to explain how to write XYZ-compliant
components and integrate those components into our XYZ product. Here are
the topics we included in the XDK document (it turned out to be more of a
"how to" task-oriented document):

About This Document
Purpose
Organization
Assumptions (all the stuff the software engineers should know)

Learning Some Basics
What Is the XDK?
What Does the XDK Software Contain?
XDK Directory
IDL Files
Class Files
What's Required to Use the XDK?
Hardware
Software
How Do I Develop XDK-Compliant Componets?
What Is the Integration Environment for Testing?
Hardware
Software
What Else Do I Need to Know?

Installing the XDK

Writing XDK-Compliant Components
Getting Object References
Handling Exceptions
Publishing and Subscribing to Events
Organizing and Naming Events
Publishing
Subscribing and Unsubscribing
Creating Devive Components
Creating Server Components

Integrating Components Into XYZ
Activating and Deactivating Components
Monitoring Components
Logging Components
Accessing the Object Repository
Integrating with the Graphical User Interface

Examples
Client Example

Hope this helps...

Todd Snarr