Re: Interview questions (weakness question)

Subject: Re: Interview questions (weakness question)
From: Laurel Nelson <Laurel_Y_Nelson -at- NOTES -dot- SEAGATE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:59:23 -0600

Some years back, I worked in an HR department for a large corporation. One
of the recruiters there told me to NEVER admit to a weakness during a job
interview. As Barbara Walters said (in wonderment as to why her
interviewees always answer her questions, no matter how personal), *Just
because someone asks you a question doesn't mean that you have to answer
it.*

Then, a few years ago, a state jobs service professional told me that
making people laugh during an interview is a plus. He said something like,
*You don't have to answer all questions with great seriousness. A humorous
response can relieve tension, and if you can make an interviewer laugh,
they'll remember you. Most interviewers find the job of interviewing to be
very draining, so if you can bring some humor (energy) into the interview,
the more power to you.*

After hearing this second piece of advice, I now provide a humorous answer
to the weakness question. That way, the question gets answered but no
serious damage is done (I hope). A few of my answers, then, to *what's your
greatest weakness* would possibly be one of the following:

chocolate
Al Pacino movies
Starbucks coffee
Liz Claiborne clothes