Re: Translating docs (was: Hiring and Tech Writing 101)

Subject: Re: Translating docs (was: Hiring and Tech Writing 101)
From: Joaquim Baptista <px -at- EASYPHONE -dot- PT>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 17:43:57 +0000

At 11:37 99/01/13 -0500, you wrote:
>What's the answer? [...]
>I always try for German, [...] and Portuguese (being US-based,
>always for the Brazilians, sorry Joaquim).

Let me use this forum to tell documentation managers something that they
may not know about Brazilian translators:

From the point of view of a Portuguese, Brazilian translations suck big
time, specially when done by Brazilians. It is so bad, that I really
prefer an English version to a Brazilian one.

Example: I was a beta-tester for the "Portuguese" version 4 of Eudora,
which was actually a Brazilian one. I still prefer to use my English
version 2 than to switch to the Brazilian version 4.

Please, think twice before offering only a Brazilian version on the
Portuguese market. I admit that the market may not justify the translation
costs. However, please offer a choice of Brazilian and English (and perhaps
French) on the Portuguese market, and not just Brazilian.

Best regards,

--
Joaquim Baptista, alias pxQuim Precisa de uma contabilista?
- px -at- easyphone -dot- pt (01) 8684294

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=