Re: Tech Writing 101 - How to tie a shoe...

Subject: Re: Tech Writing 101 - How to tie a shoe...
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 20:21:37 -0500

Peter,

I'm not flaming you. I'm simply curious.

Peter Taylor wrote:

> "What would you do if it it was 3:00, you had a deadline at 3:30, and
> you had just added some new functions to the reference section and you
> couldn't verify their accuracy because the developer responsible had
> gone home. What would you do within that half hour to ensure the the
> document was accurate?"

Based on the assumption that I absolutely couldn't reach the developer to
ascertain the accuracy of the new functions, my answer would be a two-part
one: (1) I'd seek approval to extend the deadline (many deadlines are
artificial, anyway), and (2) if having failed to gain a deadline extension,
I wouldn't hesitate to delete the new functions. This latter action is, in
my view, preferable to retaining unreliable documentation which might confuse
customers and cause unwarranted customer calls and complaint mail. The new
functions could be adequately documented at a later date on the company's web
site, in downloadable .pdf files, and in subsequent release documentation.
To paraphrase others, "Quality over quantity..."

What would you do in the above situation, Peter? Exactly what steps would
you take to ensure that the document was accurate in your own scenario.
Really, I'd like to learn your "correct" answer?

> ...I wasn't sure if he was trying to be funny and break the ice...

Which brings up a pet peeve of mine about interviews. Where is it written
that the interviewee must "break the ice"? Not writing about you, Peter.
Nothing personal. My comments below are directed to interviewers in general.

Interviewers have the power to direct the conduct of interviews. With power
comes the obligation to exercise it wisely, thriftly, and compassionately.

Simple courtesy on the part of the interviewer is important in maximizing the
investment of all concerned. Interviewers are ambassador of their firms and
their words and deeds can impart lasting impressions about the company. Word
gets around fast: "Don't apply to XYZ, Inc. because they treat interviewees
shabbily. Who needs their hassles?"

After thirty-six years in business (many year as a manager), I still don't
grasp the "interviewer as adversary" approach. Competent, thoughtful, and
fair interviewees--people who believe in and practice the Golden Rule--can
properly assess an interviewee's abilities and character without resorting to
shock tactics, rudeness, and inconsiderate treatment. Of course, I'm an Old
School kind of guy who can't accept the mean-spirited, confrontational "in
your face" attitudes of today's society. As a matter of personal conviction,
I don't believe in abusing others or in robbing them of their dignity.

It doesn't cause physical pain to be the first to smile, to offer a handshake,
to extend sincere compliments about an interviewee's attire, background, or
resume. Nor does it hurt to spend a few moments in chit-chat. If you are too
busy to spend some time "breaking the ice" and extending potential coworkers
a modicum of dignity and courtesy, then perhaps you need to take time off to
stroll along warm beaches and reassess your career and personal priorities.

Why is it so difficult to ensure the interviewee's comfort? "May I get you a
beverage, coffee, pop, water?" Ensure the interviewee has enough surface space
(often overlooked) on cluttered desks and tables to jot notes or to open his
or her attaché case, or to spread out writing and artistic samples. In winter
or in rainy weather, be prepared to offer interviewees a place to hang their
outer garments. Try to be kind, considerate, and friendly.

Remember, the interviewee may not only become a coworker, he or she may rise
to be one's future manager. Those interviewers who don't practice the Golden
Rule may someday find themselves confronting payback time.

When people invest their time and energy in interviewing with your company--
especially when they incur considerable personal expense to visit with
you, the minimum you can do is to reward them by promptly advising them by
a considerate e-mail or letter that they were not chosen. This is basic
personal courtesy.

Thanks for listening.

Roy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=