Re: Peter Taylor's thread:

Subject: Re: Peter Taylor's thread:
From: Peter Taylor <sector_five -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:35:40 PST

>Well I guess what I would say is I would test the new functions myself.

Yes, exactly.

>But I would also find out what the interviewer's assumptions are. For
>example, I would assume the writer has enough access to the
>development environment to be able to test the functions. If not, then
>I'd find someone to help me test them (maybe a QA person?)

The job title in question was "programmer/writer" and the interviewee
knew that he would have access to the source files. I didn't include
that in my original post because I didn't think I have to defend the
question so vigorously. But you response to me would have been exactly
what I wanted to hear.

>Also, I would find out more about the deadline. Is it flexible? What
>is more important, meeting the deadline or striving for completeness?
>If I really can't test the functions myself or otherwise be dead sure
>that I'm accurately documenting the new functions, I would make a
>strong case for extending the deadline so documentation that is fully
>representative of the product can be released.

All excellent questions and much more appropriate than stating you would
"visualize success".

>I don't think there's really a right answer to a question like this.
>The interviewer is more likely looking to see how you approach a
>stressful situation. But only Peter can answer for sure.

No, there wasn't really a one-hundred-percent right answer but I
certainly would have liked to hear an intelligent response along the
same lines of thought as your answers above. All I wanted to determine
was the applicant's ability to work independently and to a deadline.

Peter Taylor.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=