Re: WARNING TO ALL POSTERS PLEASE READ

Subject: Re: WARNING TO ALL POSTERS PLEASE READ
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 19:15:31 -0800

Robert Maxey writes:

> Hey Everyone.... The above was cut and pasted from a reply to the post
> about Front Page and its problems, real and imagined. If you will notice,
> the second line of type says "Robert Maxey writes..." I AM ROBERT MAXEY AND
> I DID NOT write the quote that was attributed to me. It looks like I did.
> The only part of the above that was mine was "What standard does FP not
> follow".

Actually, you did write the quote that was attributed to you...
that quote being the single line "What standard does FP not follow?".
Here's the entirety of my original post, enclosed with dashed lines
to avoid adding further quoting confusion:

Robert Maxey writes:

> >I'm sure that's the cause of all trouble: Microsoft Frontpage, the
> >garbaging editor...
> >You can compose nice-looking pages with it, but this editor does
> >definitely not follow the recognized HTML standards for compatible use;
> >the main concern for tech-writing.
>
> What standard does FP not follow?

What standard *does* it follow? :-)

Seriously, though, FP does not follow standard practice in how it
uses HTML and how it lays out pages. HTML is a language that, like
english, can be used to express the same thing in different ways.
Front Page seems to find the most awkward way to express such things.
Part of this is that Front Page tries to map Word's internal tag
format to HTML, which is definitely not a one-to-one mapping. The
rest of it seems to be simply Microsoft attitude.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

My post used standard Internet practice of prefacing quotes
comments with a single right angle bracket (>), including previously
quoted comments. Standard Internet practice is to attribute only
lines with a single quote character to the stated speaker, assuming
multiply-quoted lines are from previous posters unless otherwise
stated.

In particularly convoluted cases I tend to separate out
individual speakers and label them, but the above is fairly
straightforward. I'm sorry you found it confusing.

Your comments about FrontPage have already been voluminously
addressed in other messages in this thread.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=