When to use screen shots (was: screen dumps in books)

Subject: When to use screen shots (was: screen dumps in books)
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 09:41:26 -0500

Hallo:

I am getting some very interesting points regarding the use of screen
shots. I would like some more opinion on this matter.

I am a screen-shot minimalist. Once in a while I will offer a screen
shot to reassure the reader that they are, indeed, on the true path.
However, I do not offer every screen shot with this purpose.

Question, ought we provide step-by-step screen shots with our text? As
one person wrote me, some find it reassuring to see the book mimics what
they see on-screen.

I often (in Windows/Mac) use screen shots instead of text to show
settings. In other words, having the reader set the
values/parameters/switches (whatever you want to call them) as shown in
a graphic.

In a text-based environment with 80- and 132-character columns, my
preference is to show only the text of those lines that solicit a
response, using a fixed-width font, but wrapping to meet the needs of
the document's page layout. My thought is that seeing each and every
prompt that appears on-screen reproduced in text would be reassurance
enough, rather than 30 lines of 132 character text, of which 6 require a
response.

So, how about it? When to use screen shots (including re-typing or
capturing text-based screens) and when not to? Am I too minimalist?
Thoughts?

Thanks. I am open to some persuasion on this.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

>>>Youy just hit the key regarding why have screen shots. "user
>>>sees on their
>>>terminal under normal circumstances?"
>>>
>>>What about abnormal circumstances? I'm sure you are aware
>>>that you don't always
>>>get what you expect on a screen and the screen shot confirms
>>>to the user that
>>>they are on the right path. Screens give the user assurance
>>>that they are doing
>>>it right when they see on the screen the same image as in
>>>their documentation.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=