Re: Most common industries using Tech Writers??

Subject: Re: Most common industries using Tech Writers??
From: "Gerle, Paul" <PGerle -at- TEMPLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 06:40:24 -0800

Deborah Crossman wrote:

> Please advise me as to the industries that you believe most
frequently hire
> technical writers. Although not industries, per se, are science and
medicine
> among them?
>
> Thank you.

Deborah,

I don't generally find it useful to categorize unnecessarily, but in my
experience, tech writing falls into the following "buckets" (by
industry):

Software Development - working with the developers to create:
1. Development documents (to help the developers develop) - business
requirements, process flows, high-level and low-level design documents,
programming standards, etc.
2. User documents (to help the users understand/use) - user manuals,
quick-reference cards, training guides, on-line Help, etc.

Engineering/Manufacturing - process flows, work instructions,
maintenance procedures, etc.

Marketing Writing - ad copy and layout (design), presentations, sales
force materials, packaging design, etc.

Medical Writing - I have no idea, I've never done it. But there seem to
be many writers who specialize in this.

There may be others, such as education, science, journalism, etc, that
overlap and/or extend this short list. But these cover the majority of
employment opportunities, which I surmise from your previous posts is
what you're interested in.

Good luck!

Paul E. Gerle
Technical Communicator
DCI Corp. (my opinions are mine alone, yaddy, yaddy, yadda)
"I do ONE thing at a time. I do it VERY well. Then I move on."
- Charles Emerson Winchester III

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=