Re: Comments welcome

Subject: Re: Comments welcome
From: Walter Crockett <BrufusD -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:23:17 EST

Michelle writes:
"There is a debate going on in my office over this; which is correct:

1) Your comments are always welcomed.
2) Your comments are always welcome."

Go with the latter. Both are correct, but 2) is better.
1) is really a passive form that describes what your office does when it gets
a comment. It also suffers from having the present tense "are" and the past
tense "welcomed" in close proximity to each other.
2) is another way of saying "You are welcome here," which is precisely what
you want to say. It doesn't describe what happens after the comment gets
there, it describes your company waiting in a cheerful state of readiness for
a comment.

Walter Crockett

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=