Re: Me or I?

Subject: Re: Me or I?
From: Jim Aikens <jaikens -at- ZOOMIT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:00:39 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacque Foreman <foremangraphics -at- JUNO -dot- COM>

>For the third time today I have read a sentence that goes something
like this:

> Perhaps it's just me.
>
>You all call yourselves professional writers, and I am possitively sure
>you all know it should have been written:
>
> Perhaps it's just I.
>
>Yes, I know I'm being picky and sticky, but if "professional" writers
>don't uphold correct usage, who will?

But if you have seen it used three times in a single day by professional
writers, perhaps you should question your idea of "correct usage." Isn't
that determined, in large part, by what professional writers do? In any
case, a repectable style guide I have at hand says that the usage is
fine "in speech and informal writing." What could be more informal than
this forum?

And when was the last time you said, "It is I." without feeling foolish?

jim aikens

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=