Re: Contractions & Style

Subject: Re: Contractions & Style
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:40:08 -0600

Michelle Vina-Baltsas writes:

> noticed that my style of writing is fairly formal
> compared to many reference guides I'm reading
> these days: they seem to be more conversational.
> One thing I have specifically noticed is the use
> of contractions. My

(snipped)

> I'm seriously thinking about "lightening" my
> style, but want to hear some other opinions

I'll throw my two cents in as against using contractions also. They're
easy to misread and are sometimes difficult to translate. I tend to
prefer the more formal style, although I do use "you" rather than "the
user" and I very conscientiously edit out the institutional passive
whenever possible. It does seem that user guides have become much more
informal recently, but I hope it's only a fad. I especially dislike
humor or phrases that talk down to the reader. The Dummies books have
their place, but for a user guide or reference guide that accompanies
the product, I'd opt for the more formal.

Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
Dallas, Texas
janeber -at- cyberramp -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=