Re: QUERY: animations in online help

Subject: Re: QUERY: animations in online help
From: AlQuin <cbon -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 20:42:20 +0100

On 22-01-1999 08:20 -Melanie Albrecht- wrote:

>The software that we are documenting has some similarities with CAD
>programs - lots of manipulation of 3D models, buttons to click, and
>selections to be made. Some of these tasks lend themselves to animation,
>being complex and difficult to describe in easy-to-understand terms. Other
>tasks are trivial. Should we have long-ish animations showing many tasks,
>or should we have lots of little ones? And should we have animations for
>only those tasks which are complex, leaving the simple ones to text-only
>descriptions, or is consistency more important, so that all tasks should
>have animations?

Describe your tasks problem-centered: what am I aiming to do: Create a
parts-breakdown or draw a line... Describing complex tasks will include
simple ones as well. Consider an extensive index system to locate these
small tasks.
Possibly chunking your stuff into smaller wizard-like components is an
intermediaite choice.
My two eurocents..
Kees de Bondt

AlQuin
informationflow-improvement
text
document
business communication
total quality

* In managing your information you will control your quality...

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=