Re: HTML to PDF conversion

Subject: Re: HTML to PDF conversion
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:05:15 -0700

Ed writes:

> Does anyone know of a way to convert HTML files to PDF (in bulk -- we
> have hundreds to convert), other than printing each file to a postscript
> file, and then using Distiller?
>
> Ultimately, what I need to do is convert hundreds of HTML files to PDF
> and then combine them in one big PDF, with index entries for each file.

I'm just trying to figure out why you'd want to do this. The only reason I
see is because the content intended for web distribution now needs to be
delivered in hard-copy form. And this is precisely why companies need to
weigh the benefits and drawbacks of HTML before moving in that direction.

That said, if your files are linked and you want to preserve the hierarchy,
you might be able to use HP Web PrintSmart to print the first page and all
linked pages en masse. If you print to PDFWriter, you'll avoid the step of
distilling, but the quality will probably not be too good. I'd still print
to PS and distill. However, you'll have no links since the driver has no way
of capturing that data and sending it to the distiller. I could be wrong
about this last point, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Bill Burns - Eccentric Technology Consultant
ILE Communications Group
billdb -at- ile -dot- com
Call me fishmeal.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=