Re: ANON: My replacement

Subject: Re: ANON: My replacement
From: "Moore, Tracey" <TMoore -at- PARKERVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:06:36 -0500

You could suggest a recruiter instead of a headhunter. The difference?
With a recruiter, you get to try before you buy (usually six month to
perm contract). Hourly, it costs just a little more than a contractor,
and the company gets the assurance that if it doesn't work out, the
recruiter will bring in another person until they get the right fit.

If they don't want to spend the money, another suggestion could be to
contact the employment chairperson at your STC chapter and to advertise
for the position on the STC web site and Online Career Center (occ.com).
They stand a better chance of getting someone "good" if they go through
STC or the internet instead of the local paper. At least the respondents
will either be affiliated with STC or up to speed technology-wise enough
to know how to job hunt on the web. :)

I sympathize with your situation. I recently left a job and during my
final week they announced that the receptionist was taking over the
corporate web site (at least they're sending her to classes--not so easy
with tech writing duties), and the following week they enlisted the help
of the mail person to write training manuals.

What I did was write up the requirements they're looking for in a tech
writer, and gave them a list of resources. Here they are:

Recruiters (these are national, you may have others in your area):
System One
Ajilon
Modis

Online:
www.monsterboard.com
www.occ.com
www.stc-va.org

Give them your best advice, and then forget about it. It's their
problem, not yours. If you're feeling bold, be very honest about why
you're leaving. Maybe it will help management, but don't hold your
breath. Remember the Peter principle (every person is promoted to their
own level of incompetence). Good luck with your new job, forget about
the old one.