Re: Most readable line lengths?

Subject: Re: Most readable line lengths?
From: Elisabeth Zakes <ezakes -at- PLANVIEW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:01:20 -0600

> This is fascinating. I take it, then, that "most readable line
> length" is
> somewhat proportional to the size of the print, regardless of the
> absolute
> line length (within reason, of course)?
>
> For example, there's about a two-inch difference in the length of 2.5
> alphabets, in 12-point and 16-point Times Roman.
>
> Take care,
>
> Scott

When I was working at a typesetting shop, designers of books
limited line length to 30 picas (5 inches), and usually stayed between
24 and 27 picas (4 to 4.5 inches), no matter the type size. I was told
that the human eye has trouble tracking more than 5 inches easily,
thereby adding to eye fatigue when lines are longer than 30 picas.

Elisabeth B. Zakes
PlanView, Inc., Austin, TX
ezakes -at- planview -dot- com
http://www.planview.com