OT: Words of wisdom

Subject: OT: Words of wisdom
From: "Morey, Jennifer" <JMorey -at- MACROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:10:55 -0500

We are having students from a local high school spend a morning with our
company as part of their job shadowing program. As the only technical
writer here, I expect to have several students for about 2 1/2 hours. I
plan to give them the usual tour, meet the programmers, show them what I
do all day, etc., but I'd also like to give them advice from a
perspective other than my own.

What education or skills have helped you the most in your career? What
do you wish you had known before you started? How is technical writing
different from what you expected? Are you happy with your salary? How
much continuing education or professional development do you feel you
need? What software are you using/would you suggest they learn?

I have some excellent information about the education and work history
of many people from previous postings; I'm looking for a 'State of the
Profession' perspective from anyone who cares to share one.

I am a digest subscriber, so please respond privately to
jmorey -at- macrosoft -dot- com -dot-

Thanks in advance for your help. The students and I appreciate it!

Jen
Jennifer Morey
Technical Writer

Macro Computer Products, Inc. ~ 2523 Product Court ~ Rochester Hills,MI
48309
Phone : (248) 853-1800 ext. 182 ~ Fax : (248) 853-7140 ~ E-mail :
jmorey -at- macrosoft -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=