Re: Powerpoint is overkill for manuals!

Subject: Re: Powerpoint is overkill for manuals!
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- SIMPLYWRITTEN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 08:51:55 -0500

>Deborah Crossman reported <<I have used Powerpoint to create slide
>shows and to print out copies of individual slides, however, in this
>case, I'm supposed to create an entire manual using Powerpoint.>>

Surely this is done in jest! We've had to often take somebody's PowerPoint
slides and port them into something useable, but to intentionally use PP for
a whole manual? That's absurd. If nothing else, PP isn't portable to
*anything else* on God's earth. Once in there, you won't be able to get it
out. PP is a dead end. Even Word isn't that restrictive. I can't think of
anything less suited for modern manual production, unless it's Access,
although even Access isn't a dead end; I can use it to hold tagged text, at
least. If you must use something bizarre, use Corel or Paint Shop Pro,
because at least those apps are flexible and can do great graphics.

I suppose it is true that to a man with a hammer, every problem looks like a
nail.

Tim Altom
Adobe Certified Expert, Acrobat
Simply Written, Inc.
The FrameMaker support people
Ask about Clustar Method training and consulting
317.899.5882
http://www.simplywritten.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=