Re: ANON: My replacement

Subject: Re: ANON: My replacement
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:40:23 -0500

This reminded me of a previous position as a lone tech writing contractor.
After three years, I had had enough of being under-appreciated and
under-challenged, and decided it was time to move on.

Before leaving, I cleaned up the garbage hanging around (so as not to confuse
whomever they hired), backup up all files, gave mini courses on using the style
sheets to current employees (figuring someone might remember someday),
recommended how to go about finding a replacement for me (agencies, posting
here, contacting the STC), etc., etc., etc.

Imagine my surprise when I received a phone call from someone who worked there,
practically begging me to consider returning, because all their documentation
was falling seriously behind. The reason? The owner of the company had hired
his grade 11 daughter to assume the responsibility. He thought since she was
pretty good in Word, she would be OK.

I even went in a couple of times and tried to help her navigate the file
system, explained how the documentation was stored, how to use the style
sheets, etc. Mind you, this was out of the goodness of my heart - I didn't
even bill them for it.

The current situation there has become even worse. It is 9 months since I left
and they are releasing new versions of their software without manuals. The
sentiment among the owners of the company is that I left them ill-prepared and
unorganized.

Go figure!

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while, I was a suspect.

On Wednesday, January 27, 1999 11:12 AM, John Posada [SMTP:john -at- tdandw -dot- com]
wrote:
> Being a contractor, I've changed situations several times. While it is noble
> to be concerned about a situation that you are leaving, I don't worry about
> it
> too much.
>
> First, as much as we might like to think otherwise, the company will
> survive...you aren't irreplaceable. You do your job well and they will do
> theirs.
>
> Second, the company will be much better positioned if you leave them prepared
> for your replacement, whoever that may be. Instructions on where things are,
> clean up the garbage files that you always have hanging around, cleanup any
> directories, get things sorted out...you know, the things we're supposed to
> do
> every day :-).
>
> Third..you made a suggestion. They didn't like it. You tried. They accept the
> consequences.
>
> Fourth..Don't take this job personal, just professionally.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=