Re: Employers' mistaken job requirements?

Subject: Re: Employers' mistaken job requirements?
From: Lisa Higgins <Lisa -dot- Higgins -at- LEVEL3 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:29:42 -0700

You know, I have a fairly flip response to tools requirements. If I'm asked
about my tool expertise (I don't have it on my resume), I sort of laugh a
little and pooh-pooh the idea. I'll say something like, "Oh, I don't worry
too much about what tools I use. I have preferences, sure, but I can use
what you have." I explain that I've been using computers for about
eleventy-bajillion years now, and I make a living writing documents. DTPs
and graphics tools pretty much all work the same (within subsets). Different
tools have the features in different places. That's OK. I'll find them.

At least in my field, I guess I wonder how it is that someone could expect
me to fumble my way through a complex, half-implemented telecommunications
provisioning tool or something well enough to write a user guide about it,
yet be completely baffled by something like Microsoft Word. It just doesn't
make sense to me.

Lisa.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=