Re: Hyperlinks in PDF

Subject: Re: Hyperlinks in PDF
From: Fred Perry <perryf -at- NINA -dot- PAGESZ -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:55:06 -0500

In Acrobat Exchange 3.2, you click on the little linked chain icon on the
top left. Find a piece of text you wish to be hyperlinked somewhere else and
draw a box around it. A properties dialogue opens up, so you can define the
shape and color of the link as well as the location of the link. Page
through the manual to the page you wish to set the link to, then click on
the Set Link box. Voila. A colored (if you wish) hyperlink to this page from
your original page. Exchange then goes back to he page you started from so
that you can move through the book in the order you wish.

As for quick contents, you will need the plug-in called Bookmarks by
Example. Select it from the Tools menu, then select Choose Headings
Settings. Draw a box around an example of what you wish to be your Level 1
Head and press the Set Level 1 button. Repeat this for however many levels
you wish to use (I never use more than 2 for this), then press Apply on the
Bookmarks by Example. Acrobat reads through the document then places
bookmarks in the bookmark windows based on the font styles you chose as your
headers. What follows is a little clean-up.

We also like using the thumbnails for our manuals--just go to the document
menu and pulldown Create New Thumbnails and...again...voila.

Hope this helps.