Re: Map files in ForeHelp ?

Subject: Re: Map files in ForeHelp ?
From: Thom Randolph <thom -at- HALCYON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 23:07:33 -0800

Matthew:

At 10:44 AM 1/28/99 -0800, you wrote:
>In ForeHelp, you use map files in the following ways:
>
>* You can import a map file that the programmers had generated in Delphi.

This is confusing to me. Which of these do you mean:

1) The writer imports a map file which is written by the programmers.
The programmers create the file manually, using the editor in the
Delphi programming environment. The file lists context ID constant
declarations and numerical values chosen by the programmer.

2) The writer imports a map file provided to them by the programmers.
The map file is generated (automatically) by a command or tool that
is a part of Delphi. The file lists context ID constant declarations
and numerical values derived by Delphi from the corresponding GUI
component instance names.

3) Something entirely different ;-)

The reason I'm confused has to do with your use of the term "control
ID" in the text below. Is this the object instance name for the UI
element?

>ForeHelp tries to match the IDs of controls with the context strings of your
>help topics. ForeHelp assigns the context numbers of topics that match. If
>ForeHelp cannot match a control ID with a context string, you can assign the
>number manually to a topic. (You'll need to refer to the map file as you
>select the topic for the context number. Therefore, the programmer should
>label controls clearly so that you know which context number goes where.)

If you're saying that Delphi can create a map file automatically
for all the GUI components in a project, please please tell me how.
I didn't know such a capability existed, and can't find any mention
of it in their online help. Such an automatic utility would be a
godsend.

Good luck with the talk; wish I could make it there. But, work calls!

Regards,

Thom Randolph
thom -at- halcyon -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=