ADMIN: Virus Information Sources

Subject: ADMIN: Virus Information Sources
From: TECHWR-L Administrator <admin -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 06:33:37 -0700

Gang,

I've been asked by a couple of people to post notes about
various viruses and security issues. As a rule, I decline
because this simply isn't the right forum. However, I'm
making an exception in this case.

>For users of Microsoft Office, Woody Leonhard (publisher of the
>well-respected e-zine "Woody's Office Watch", aka "WOW") has
>announced the discovery of three large security holes in Office and
>how to patch them.
>... If there are any updates, we'll post them to http://www.wopr.com/
immediately.

This is a reputable source, and confirmed with patches on the
Microsoft site (see URL below).

Do not reply to this note on the list, and if this issue concerns
you, please note the URLs below for additional information.

Thanks!
Eric

VIRUS INFORMATION
For reliable Microsoft Product security information (security holes,
macro viruses, etc.), check out:
Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.asp

Get more general information about both viruses and virus hoaxes at:
http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Security_and_Encryption/Viruses/

Get more information about anti-virus programs at:
http://dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Software/Reviews/Titles/System_Utilities/Utilities/Anti_Virus/
(all on one line)

HOAXES and FAKES
Please read the definitive sources at
US Department of Energy Computer Incident
Advisory Capability
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html
and
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACChainLetters.html

If you'd like pointers to other sources about the differences between
hoaxes and the real thing, try this one, try (all on one line, no spaces),
http://www.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/Mythology_and_Folklore/Urban_Legends/Computer_Viruses/

Eric J. Ray TECHWR-L Listowner
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com http://www.raycomm.com/

Syndicated columnist: Rays on Computing
Technology Department Editor, _Technical Communication_
Co-author of _Unix Visual Quickstart Guide_, _Mastering HTML 4_,
_Dummies 101: HTML 4_, _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference_, others.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=