Re: Re[2]: HTML and CSS

Subject: Re: Re[2]: HTML and CSS
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:45:16 -0500

For those who want to play with CSS1, Opera is a good test environment. Opera does CSS1 without extensions.
Unfortunately, I still wouldn't deploy it on the web, because Arlen is right: over %90 of the visitors won't see it.

What some people do is kind of double-up, using both CSS and older techniques, so that the site will be real neat when viewed with a CSS capable browser, and degrade gracefully when viewed with something less. But that's a lot of work for a very small percentage of the visitors. CSS doesn't do much that can't be done other ways, it is useful mostly as an easier, more reasonable way to do it. But if you have to do both, what's the point?

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

> From: Arlen P Walker [mailto:Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com]
>
> And check the TECHWR archives--there was a discussion
> back on 12/7/98
> lamenting the poor support for CSS in the current crop
> of browsers.
>
> And it hasn't improved. Well over 90% of your visitors will not have
> support for the CSS1 feature set, because neither of the two major
> browsers fully supports CSS1, yet. Netscape will probably be
> the first to
> do so, when their NGLayout engine finally ships.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=