Re: I Need ideas to compose Author Geuidelines...

Subject: Re: I Need ideas to compose Author Geuidelines...
From: "Comeau, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Comeau -at- MOH -dot- GOV -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 16:41:01 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Hoffmaster, Robert (RHOF) [mailto:RHOF -at- CHEVRON -dot- COM]
SNIP
Any suggestions where/how to gather good ideas describing what to include,
etc in "Author's Guidelines". I need to compose a rather detailed set of
guidelines for potential authors in the social sciences/journalisim to
follow while preparing and submitting their completed manuscripts.
SNIP

Bob; (and others)

Have you tried actual submission guidelines for various trade publications,
etc. in your industry? They may not be as specific as you want, but they may
provide a starting point...

Also, are there any current guidelines in place @ Chevron that you could add
to or change?

I find it helpful to know what has/hasn't worked in the past (both in my own
place of business and others) so that I can integrate.

Here's an example, hope you find some of this useful...

How to Submit Manuscripts and Press Releases to XYZ Corp.

Purpose
§ Info on where things are to be submitted
§ Audience of publication
§ Goals of publication

Submitting Your Manuscript
§ Info on whether to submit solicited or unsolicited manuscripts, policy on
duplicate submissions

Preparing Your Manuscript Format
§ Format for manuscript
§ Guidelines
§ (i.e. Do not bold or italicize text/ do not use different type fonts/Do
not indent text except to begin a new paragraph/Do not capitalize text for
emphasis or use quotes except around a direct quotation/Do not use
footnotes. Instead, attribute quotes and citations directly in the text.)
§ Any info on inclusion of article title, authors' names, author
biographies, contact information, abstracts, subheadings, format of
subheadings, tables and figures, technical specifications (if sending via
email or diskette), style and tone, gender inclusive or exclusive language,
use of references, and how you will exercise editorial control.

Editorial Criteria
§ What points review process is based on, and how they are judged

Review Process
§ Any info like whether the article is judged by an outline prior to
publication
§ How the document is reviewed (i.e. the author's name is removed to ensure
objectiveness of
Editorial Review Board)

Conditions of Acceptance
§ Pretty obvious - also whether submissions are returned, or paid for...

Standard disclaimers

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000