Getting started with Help systems?

Subject: Getting started with Help systems?
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:03:05 -0700

Juley Torkomian is <<...writing my first Help project and I'm
overwhelmed.>>

I'd recommend the book _Designing Windows 95 help: a guide to
creating online documents_ (Mary Deaton and Cheryl Locket Zuback, Que
Books, 1996). It's long, detailed, and thorough. I don't like their
writing style much, and don't agree 100% with everything they say,
but still consider it an excellent resource. Probably the best
feature of the book is that it teaches you about help systems, not
about how to use a specific software tool to create a hypertext
link, and they include several really useful MSWord templates to
help you with your planning. Combine that with William Horton's books
on online docs and you've got a good start towards what you need to
know. Add in techwr-l once you've bumped into your first set of
questions and you've got the real deal.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)} Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Patience comes to those who wait."--Anon.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=