Re: Style Manuals

Subject: Re: Style Manuals
From: "Comeau, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Comeau -at- MOH -dot- GOV -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:59:04 -0500

> Oh, garbage, so many of those companies come and go, why should I pay
attention to 20-somethings who have too much acne and no social skills.

ITFP, at one time, Bill Gates was one of those "20-somethings who have too
much acne and no social skills". Like him or not, he has alot of pull in the
computer industry. Imagine how many people are now saying "If only I had
listened to little Billy Gates" (Except of course, those who believed his
'never need more than 640K of RAM' spiel...)

ITSP, I hope this was a generalization about the techie people you see in
your neighborhood, and not meant to sound as utterly biased and insulting as
it did.

>You'd think some of these techies invented the cure for cancer!!

Maybe they didn't, but they ARE responsible for alot of the hardware and
programs, and processes and engineering we take for granted. (A little SME
envy?)

> BTW, Strunk and White, if you've ever seen it, is like a writer's bible.

I am not trying to imply that CMS or Strunk are ineffective, they all have
their place, just like small-minded people have their place. (The
difference is, I have yet to figure out a use for small-minded people other
than to give open-minded people a reason to try and convert them...)I am not
trying to 'convert' non-MS MoS users, I am just trying to say that it is a
tool.

Yep, that's right, a TOOL. Just like your PC, your Strunk and White,
RoboHelp, FrameMaker, and yes, MS Word. If you write for Windows apps, use
MS MoS. If you write for UNIX, use a UNIX MoS (is there such an animal?).
That's all. No big deal. No reason to break our fingers in trying to get
someone else to use our preferred tool, but no reason not to reccommend it
either.

Happy Hump Day!

Lisa Comeau
Office (416) 327-1112
Pager (416) 715-9198
mailto:Lisa -dot- Comeau -at- moh -dot- gov -dot- on -dot- ca

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=