Re: How do you respond to job ads?

Subject: Re: How do you respond to job ads?
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <lcporrel -at- ESSVOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:45:00 -0600

Jim,

I like your idea of not submitting salary information. But I am curious about what you say to get around the request. Please tell.

As for why I avoid submitting samples. . .

* I don't like to give away my ideas gratuitously. If you'll take the time to meet with me, then I'll take the time to share my work.

* There are so many jobs that don't require samples before the interview, why should I bother in this market?

* I am not confident that whoever gets my samples will be able to discern good work from poor work.

* Finally, though the samples I use are not "confidential," I don't imagine that Compaq wants them scattered to the winds. So, out of deference, I try to keep my hands on all copies of my samples. Of course, my last job was with Compaq, and though I am now with a small company, my next job will be with another big company, so my credentials are pretty strong.

Leonard Porrello