search for file contents?

Subject: search for file contents?
From: Becca Price <beccap -at- RUST -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:11:36 -0500

I inherited a tech dox group (well, by the time I inherited
it, it was down to
one person -- now me) last July. We're using Ventura 4.2
until I get the
courage to switch to FrameMaker. For the most part, each
manual is a
custom effort for each individual machine.

I'm trying to find where a certain little-used parameter
might have been
defined. Does anyone know whether it's possible to do a
search on the
contents of *.doc or *.txt files to locate a specific string
of characters?
If it is possible, how do I do it, please?

Many thanks,

Becca

beccap -at- rust -dot- net
techpub -at- hinesindustries -dot- com