Re: Will work for free

Subject: Re: Will work for free
From: Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- CHISP -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 13:36:38 -0700

Jennifer Mueller wrote:

>Is anyone interested in taking me up on this offer, or does anyone have any
>advice / suggestions?

I wish I could take you up on your offer, as you sound like a fantastic
employee. Too bad the company where I work doesn't have any openings right
now.

But here's one piece of advice: working for free has a way of setting a
precedent. Don Lancaster (_The Incredible Money Machine_ and many other
quirky books) says never to do it. I think that it's not the end of the
world if you do it, but if you do work for free to get experience, at least
set a definite time limit on it--and a pretty short time limit at that.

Another point about working for free: the more you charge, the more people
value what you give them. And the less you charge...well, you see where
this is going.

--
Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- chisp -dot- net>
Author, _Practical Software Requirements: A Manual of Content & Style_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=