Becoming a Technical Writer

Subject: Becoming a Technical Writer
From: Bruce Conway <bconway -at- ISLAND -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 06:58:02 -0800

I thought this was very well written. It's an FAQ on "How do I become a
technical writer" by
The Write Stuff. Especially good for those wanting to break into the
profession.

http://www.writestuff.com/200/208.htm

(No, it's not a sneaky plug for TWS - I don't work for The Write Stuff. As
mentioned
before, I'm an underutilized technical writer stuck in Victoria, BC).

Speaking of technical writing, I'm wondering if any of you have ever seen
signs
like this:

"Please remove any deposits which your dog may make?"

(with the usual accompanying graphic of a plastic bag and shovel-wielding
human of course). Here in Victoria they tend to over-do (overdo?) the Brit
thing a bit (wordiness). Maybe
an international symbol of a turd with steam coming off it would be more to
the point with
the word "Remove", or something similar.

Time on my hands ....

Bruce Conway -Technical Write and amateur ontologist,
Pacific Online Publishing
Victoria, BC
bconway -at- island -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=