Re: What would be the best approach?

Subject: Re: What would be the best approach?
From: Debbie Warren <dwarren -at- DTECHS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 15:05:58 -0600

Suzette,

I would have a chapter about Creating Reports.

Creating Reports

To create a report:

List the major steps.

1.
2.
3.

Expand a step into another topic if needed. For example: 5. Add fields.
Your next topic could be Adding fields to your report definition.

You can have a section on field values.

I would try to stick to the "User Task perspective".

>Should I approach this in a linear fashion? Just going through the
>application, showing users how to select different values and explaining
what
>those values mean? Or should I break it down into every possible variation
of
>a report? For example, one report might be How many gift certificates were
sold
>by store within a time span, another - How many gift certificates were
redeemed
>by store within a time span, How many discounted sales took place within a
time
>span, How many times and for how long an employee opened the cash drawer
within
>a given date range, etc. The list would be extremely lengthy and would be
very
>repetitious.
>
>I tend to always like to approach a project from a User Task perspective,
but
>with an ad hoc reporting system, I suspect this might not be the best
method.
> Any thoughts?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=