Re: FWD: Will it hurt my career to take a lower-level job for a while?

Subject: Re: FWD: Will it hurt my career to take a lower-level job for a while?
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:29:15 -0800

At 04:14 AM 2/8/99 -0700, Anonymous asks:

>My question is: do you think that if I work as a senior writer for a
>while, it will hurt me when I go job-hunting again and try to find a
>manager position?

Not in my experience. Many people in the Bay Area go back and forth from
senior writer to pubs manager positions.

>Will people look at my resume and see only that I
>have appeared to stay at the same level for a long time, and then
>actually moved down a level? Or are jobs plentiful enough in Silicon
>Valley that my experience will be strong enough?

I don't think the job title itself or duration will work against you.
Instead, what is more likely to work in your favor is accomplishments you
can demonstrate from that period, and clear explanations why you made the
choices you did, and why those choices were good ones. If you sound
apologetic or ashamed that you "moved down a level," that will show
through. Instead, if you describe each choice as a move forward in your
career, you can show how your experience fits with each job you apply for,
you should do fine.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
mailto:editrix -at- slip -dot- net

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=