Re: User-centered design

Subject: Re: User-centered design
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:03:15 -0800

At 05:02 PM 2/8/99 -0500, Steven Feldberg wrote:
>In our previous episode, Susan W. Gallagher said:
>>
>> Donald Norman, creator of Lotus Notes, professor emeritus of
>> Cognitive Science at UC San Diego, and now, partnered with
>> Jacob Nielson in a new venture, Nielson Norman Group.
>> http://www.NNgroup.com/
>
>This is the first time I've seen Norman cited as the `creator of Lotus
>Notes.' I've checked the web site listed above, read Norman's vitae,
>followed his work for some time, yet I've totally missed any references to
>him as the creator of Notes. Would you mind providing the source of that
>statement? Thank you!

Somewhere in my archives (the bottom of the closet in the spare bedroom,
maybe???) I have an audio tape of a friday-afternoon talk show on Nat'l
Public Radio -- circa 1993 -- where he was a featured guest and that
(the Lotus Notes bit) was listed as one of his credentials. Dunno if I
can find the tape to provide a better reference. It was just before he
joined Apple, and back then he didn't have a whole lot of commercial
success to brag about, just the one book. (Yes, I know it looks like
two, but _The Design of Everyday Things_ is just _The Philosopy of
Everyday Things_ revisited.)

If I run across the tape, I'll send you the details.

-Sue Gallagher http://pw1.netcom.com/~gscale/susanwg/
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com http://www.expersoft.com

The _Guide_ is definitive.
Reality is frequently inaccurate. --Douglas Adams

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=